Antsle Forum

Welcome to our Antsle community! This forum is to connect all Antsle users to post experiences, make user-generated content available for the entire community and more. 

Please note: This forum is about discussing one specific issue at a time. No generalizations. No judgments. Please check the Forum Rules before posting. If you have specific questions about your Antsle and expect a response from our team directly, please continue to use the appropriate channels (email: [email protected]) so every inquiry is tracked. 

Forum breadcrumbs - You are here:ForumGeneral: GeneralUse case
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Use case

Hi folks,

I'm looking for some advice from the community and I'll start with some context.

I've just installed antOS and edgeLinux on an old laptop and I'm currently evaluating the purchase of an antOne.

So far having a great experience!

My home network is a mess...

• My ISP router doesn't allow me to specify DNS servers and its DHCP capabilities are limited, to say the least. If I reserve a range of IP's for my servers then it doesn't allow me to port forward to those reserved and while trying to assign fixed IP's based on MAC address it gets confused and crashes. Crappy firmware and some marketing genius.
  • I have an old windows box running:
    • IIS and MSSQL for tests of my employer product
    • Active Directory, just to have a DNS server.
    • This is also my file server
  • A Media center out of a raspberry pi
  • An Open VPN also from a raspberry pi
  • A Hyper ledger composer from an old laptop

Some of these need to be accessible from the cloud and I have my own domain and no problem generating SSL certs.

I also need to run more stuff that currently I can't, such as mongoDB, IPFS, Flur.ee and such. Most of these are touch and go, spin up an instance, do some tests or configure a solution and eventually shut them down.

An antOne would probably be able to replace all this crap.

I'm wondering for the DNS and DHCP, what would be the best solution for this?

• create an antlet and run DNS (Bind?) and DHCP server
  • should I install DNS on the ant sever itself?
  • should I install/configure the DHCP server on the ant server, would this break the DHCP for the antlets?

Appreciate your feedback

Cheers

Some updates:

Created LXC for my dhcp+dns and managed to work around my cable router idiosyncrasies (you can't turn off DHCP) by allowing it to serve only 1 ip address. From there the new dhcp kicks in and serves the entire network. DNS is also working as expected.

This antlet has a bridged interface serving my internal network. Noticed however that the resolv.conf is pointing to some odd dns server list. I wonder if I can influence this.

Create a KVM for windows server. Had a lot of problems with the machine. Very slow and unresponsive even though I gave it 4 processor and 4g of ram. This one was also bridged. Turns out the windows box has 2 default gateways from both interfaces. The problems went away as soon as I disabled the 10.1.1.x interface. The default gateway can also be fixed manually without disabling the interface but I was just testing.

Created a second KVM (4cpu, 4g ram) for windows server. Again same situation until fixed.

However, a new issue surfaced, at some point it wouldn't allow me to start the machine, complaining about the oversubscribing ram. At this point, I had 16g with 9g subscribed... edgeLinux and antMan it-self does consume ram...

After fiddling with it a few times I got it to start, first as it was and then by lowering the number of CPU's
(not ram). The behavior seems erratic so I don't understand what's going on.

Created a LXC 4g ram, 1 cpu for a mySql without any incidents.

All in all pretty good experience.

Cheers

Thanks for the feedback, will forward this to the team!

Quote from barduino on September 22, 2018, 9:10 am

Hi folks,

I'm looking for some advice from the community and I'll start with some context.

I've just installed antOS and edgeLinux on an old laptop and I'm currently evaluating the purchase of an antOne.

So far having a great experience!

My home network is a mess...

Appreciate your feedback black screen wallpaper

Cheers

Thanks for your support!

HI

In your setup with antOS and edgeLinux, you can handle DNS by either setting up a DNS server (like Bind) on the ant server or a dedicated antlet. For DHCP, you can use the ant server or your ISP router; choose based on confidence in the ant server's DHCP capabilities. Show details.

The antOne device free download should replace your current services (e.g., IIS, MSSQL, Active Directory, Media Center, OpenVPN) and allow for running additional ones like MongoDB, IPFS, Flur.ee. Plan and back up configurations before making changes, and seek guidance from the community or documentation if needed. Enjoy a streamlined and consolidated home network with improved control and flexibility.

Thank you for providing this valuable information. I've been having difficulty coming up with many questions about this subject driving directions

It's help me alot

Geometry Dash