Antsle Forum

Welcome to our Antsle community! This forum is to connect all Antsle users to post experiences, make user-generated content available for the entire community and more. 

Please note: This forum is about discussing one specific issue at a time. No generalizations. No judgments. Please check the Forum Rules before posting. If you have specific questions about your Antsle and expect a response from our team directly, please continue to use the appropriate channels (email: [email protected]) so every inquiry is tracked. 

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

I Installed, but how do I login?

PreviousPage 2 of 3Next

Well, I already have a machine at myantsle.local (which I bought from you guys) so that won't work.  My EdgeLinux machine was at the IP 192.168.4.4 before installing EdgeLinux but is not at that address since.  And I can't get the serial number since I don't know the IP address to get into andMan.

Hi @andrewtraub,

Thanks for your feedback, we'll add a step to name your antsle when installing edgeLinux before releasing the GA version. Right now you will need to login in to your server and run `ip a` to get your current IP.

I downloaded the community edition and loaded centos 7 on my own hardware but the directions provided still require step 3.  I do not have a serial number for activation since it is my own hardware.  What do we do?  I can SSH into my workstation but I cannot login to the software using the ip address or myantsle.local.  My assumption is because nothing has been activated yet.  I looked over the docs and the docs provided in this thread but nothing mentioned anything about if it is your own hardware.  Any guidance would be appreciated

It was set to 192.168.4.4 but now appears to be 192.168.122.1 if I'm reading this correctly (see screenshot attached).  So how do I change the IP back to 192.168.4.4?

Uploaded files:
  • IMG_33221.JPG

@andrewtraub

We're updating the docs to give more clarity to the install process. Should be better now. Sorry about that and thanks for your patience 😀

You might want to update the documentation to highlight that the root account password will match that of the base OS. The documentation says that the password is antHill but that is incorrect.

I downloaded the community edition and loaded centos 7 on my own hardware but the directions provided still require step 3.  I do not have a serial number for activation since it is my own hardware.  What do we do?

Quote from antsle-demo-1 on February 18, 2020, 11:06 am

I downloaded the community edition and loaded centos 7 on my own hardware but the directions provided still require step 3.  I do not have a serial number for activation since it is my own hardware.  What do we do?

forget the instructions and go log into the box itself using your-ip:3000... use root for the username and whatever your CentOS 7 root password is. Go to settings and you'll find the serial number.

That said, edgeLinux isn't running well and antHill can't seem to connect to activate it. Nothing seems to work and most of the requests, like downloading a template, seem to hang and never resolve. If I click twice, I have to log into the box and restart antman so the system becomes responsive.

@hibrid

thank you for providing direction.  I had issues getting to the login screen but I will try again

Do you know if we can just use their hardware (I like the idea of a silent server) and skip using their software (no offense to antsle)

Quote from antsle-demo-1 on February 18, 2020, 6:22 pm

@hibrid

thank you for providing direction.  I had issues getting to the login screen but I will try again

Do you know if we can just use their hardware (I like the idea of a silent server) and skip using their software (no offense to antsle)

I ordered the antsle XD yesterday to try the software on their hardware (It has to work better on their hardware, right?) and also without it; there is no reason why you can't use their hardware with any other hypervisor.

I shopped around a bunch and decided that the hardware design here is awesome enough that I'll pay for the fanless design.  SuperMicro makes some awesome boxes for cheaper, but they are loud, and I'm looking to give these out as dev kits so the noise is a factor. I thought I was paying for software too but, I almost don't want it now that I've spent so much time with it.

I was really excited to try the load balancing feature until I realized it's only available with the $150 a month subscription... which is crazy. I think their load balancing feature uses NGINX under the hood and I'm confident I can spin up a load balancer to do exactly this is in a few minutes... then create a template and distribute it. Save myself $1,800 per dev per year. In fact, that's the only thing, as far as I can tell, that they might have over something like Proxmox VE (which btw, installed and was running in less than 10 minutes) and can be had for $85 a year. The other factor is that if you spin up a Kubernetes cluster like I'm going to do, it'll provide load balancing out of the box, and how I run it in production anyway (I'm saying that k8s does load balancing and while there is a cloud load balancer sitting in front of my clusters, for a dev or lab, you don't need that).

I think there is a need for a turnkey and easier solution like edgeLinux is aspiring to be, but I'm guessing QA is only being done on their hardware... and why it's so difficult to get up and running. The software is young and it shows... anyway, not passing judgment, just stating facts after investing a few days of my life trying to get this running. I've provided them with feedback in hopes that they mature the product but, for me, it's very much still in a beta.

Another problem is that they opted to build on top of CentOS 7 minimal... this gave me so many headaches because newer hardware just doesn't run without the drivers. I ended in a situation having to download yum packages into a custom repo, and moving the repo via USB drive to install things, to compile, and enable networking. Which... cause me to reinstall CentOS because they recommended a partition of only 16GB and it wasn't enough.

At the end of the day, I was super excited about the software, which I might have paid for, if it worked... but I'm still hoping the hardware knocks it out of the park or I'm taking advantage of that 30 day return policy.

Lastly, I'm not a fan of this antHill thing. I'm so confused why they make you enter your server's root username and password into their website to connect to your box and activate it. I have so many questions about what is done to keep my password secure, who can see it, etc.

PreviousPage 2 of 3Next