Antsle Forum

Welcome to our Antsle community! This forum is to connect all Antsle users to post experiences, make user-generated content available for the entire community and more. 

Please note: This forum is about discussing one specific issue at a time. No generalizations. No judgments. Please check the Forum Rules before posting. If you have specific questions about your Antsle and expect a response from our team directly, please continue to use the appropriate channels (email: [email protected]) so every inquiry is tracked. 

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

How to reset Antsle back to all defaults

PreviousPage 2 of 2
Quote from keneucker on May 4, 2020, 12:32 pm

I seem to have also fubar'd my Antsle Nano and am seeking a way to factory reset. Like you @kingharrison, I made a network change and now I can't access my server via the web but I can ssh in.

I'm too afraid to do anything else as I don't want to completely brick the device. I am hoping that support can take it from here.

There is also a download of the sd card image for the Nano on the anthill downloads page

But were you able to restore antlets from an edgeLinux 1/Gentoo box to an edgeLinux 2/CentOS box? That's the main thing I'm curious about. I've been holding off upgrading my antsle to EL2.0 because I'm not interested in rebuilding my antlets...

I was only able to get one from the Gentoo box to restore properly on the CentOS box. It was the first one I tried. After that, no joy.  I've got a thread here and a ticket with support because even some of my CentOS backups will not restore to the CentOS box they were taken from.  While some do just fine, the process is really hit or mis.

Here is what I did with the first one...

I backed up local from the Gentoo box.  Then backed up a fresh installed antlet from the same template on the CentOS box.  For example... the Gentoo antlet was created from a debian8.5 lxc a couple years ago. So I created an antlet on the CentOS box using the debian8.5 template.

I backed up the CentOS antlet local (backup_local_11.zfs.gz) to the same place I backed up the Gentoo antlet (backup_local_32.zfs.gz)... renamed the CentOS antlet (_backup_local_11.zfs.gz)and gave the Gentoo antlet the name of the CentOS backup (backup_local_11.zfs.gz)

Then I told the CentOS to Restore as Clone -- giving it whatever name I wanted... making sure the type was changed to lxc.

It worked once... the very first time... so I'm still hopeful and have all my backups saved locally and named so I know which ones they were.

Quote from spollock on May 4, 2020, 12:53 pm
Quote from keneucker on May 4, 2020, 12:32 pm

I seem to have also fubar'd my Antsle Nano and am seeking a way to factory reset. Like you @kingharrison, I made a network change and now I can't access my server via the web but I can ssh in.

I'm too afraid to do anything else as I don't want to completely brick the device. I am hoping that support can take it from here.

There is also a download of the sd card image for the Nano on the anthill downloads page

Thanks for the suggestion on this, that worked for me!

I went to anthill and downloaded the image.
I installed Raspberry Pi Imager and flashed the .img to an sd card.
Installed the SD card into my Nano and it's up and running from a factory-new state.

lancem and spollock have reacted to this post.
lancemspollock

new_ant: You could factory reset it. You might want to backup important files somewhere though first. Then, at least for the antsle nano, take out the micro sd card and then put into a pc, use a sd card adaptor or usb adaptor if you don't have a micro sd card slot in your pc (that's what I had to do). Download a program like balena etcher and a copy of antsle os from the download link on antsle, and use balena etcher to re-flash the antsle os to the micro sd card. Then make sure to unmount the sd card if needed, remove it. Then, make sure the antsle device is NOT plugged into power, put the sd card back into the antsle device, make sure the sd card is in properly and all the way, then plug the ethernet into your router, make sure the ethernet is fully connected, the router is fully on and working properly and then LAST of all, plug the power in, wait 20 minutes, and then go back to myantsle.local, and go from there!

Oh, and perhaps do backup restore points or something, especially at the beginning! And also before the first yum update. My experience is that screws up the myantsle.local url link.

PreviousPage 2 of 2