Antsle Forum

Welcome to our Antsle community! This forum is to connect all Antsle users to post experiences, make user-generated content available for the entire community and more. 

Please note: This forum is about discussing one specific issue at a time. No generalizations. No judgments. Please check the Forum Rules before posting. If you have specific questions about your Antsle and expect a response from our team directly, please continue to use the appropriate channels (email: [email protected]) so every inquiry is tracked. 

Forum breadcrumbs - You are here:ForumGeneral: GeneralWindows performance issues
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Windows performance issues

I have a few windows desktops running and over time I have debugged a few issues and thought I would share.

Run Windows updates until you can't no more..

Adjust visual performance (Your on a remote connection anyways)

• Right click on this computer
  • Click on properties
  • click on advance system settings
  • Click "Visual Effects" tab (should be selected already)
  • Click on "performance"
  • Select "Adjust for best performance"
  • Click ok

Disable the "Windows Search" service.  

I am sure you can google the steps for this.  If not I'll see if I can find them.

Disable the page file.  (this was less important on the Antsle One and Antsle XD machines - -maybe it had better drivers?,  but on the Dell T30 it was needed)

• Right click on this computer
  • Click on properties
  • click on advance system settings
  • Click on "Advance" TAB
  • Click "change" under "virtual memory"
  • uncheck "Automatically manage paging file"
  • Select "No paging file"
    • If you feel like you need a paging file,  do this and then go back and select "Automatically manage paging file size for all devices".  By clearing and recreating it,  it seems to correct some drive performance issues.
  • Click okay and reboot

Update time settings in "virsh"

This step requires you access the VM at a Raw XML level.   Go to the antsle console and edit the machine.  Might as well power it off first.

This will help your clock work correctly and stay in the correct time zone.

• Log into the console via web interface or use a tool like putty/mobaxterm or if you have linux just use ssh.
  • execute 'sudo virsh edit {antletname}' .  Example:   sudo virsh edit DV4MINI
  • find the "<clock" settings and change the parameters:
    • <clock offset='timezone' timezone='America/New_York'>
      <timer name='hpet' present='yes'/>
      <timer name='hypervclock' present='yes'/>
      </clock>
    • You will use whatever time zone your in.  I am in eastern time so I stick with NY time.

I hope this helps save you some time and keep your hair from turning gray{er} like mine.

Enjoy and good luck!

my 2 cents:

On my windows antlets, I set <clock offset='localtime'> and it seems to keep the clock in-sync with the antsle (which I've set its timezone to my timezone -- it's been awhile but I think I used the timedatectl command).

Also, as far as paging files go, I've put my Windows antlets' main drive on an external drive (8 TB usb drive -- instead of eating up my 1 TB antsle space  -- I have 3 antlets that I've created from physical Windows machine backups, so their drives were 1+ TB each), so for performance, I create another virtual drive on the antlet pool (using the antsle's internal SSD drive) about 5 GB in size and set that as the paging drive in Windows.

But I'll have to experiment with not having a paging file at all (I never considered it!).