Antsle Forum

Welcome to our Antsle community! This forum is to connect all Antsle users to post experiences, make user-generated content available for the entire community and more. 

Please note: This forum is about discussing one specific issue at a time. No generalizations. No judgments. Please check the Forum Rules before posting. If you have specific questions about your Antsle and expect a response from our team directly, please continue to use the appropriate channels (email: [email protected]) so every inquiry is tracked. 

Forum breadcrumbs - You are here:ForumGeneral: Generalvmxnet3
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

vmxnet3

Page 1 of 2Next

Is it possible to configure a KVM antlet with vmxnet3 as the NIC?

I'm trying to install ESXi 7.0, and it no longer apparently supports the e1000.

Thanks,

I have the same question and dilemma, have you made any headway?

@rmcilmoyle Unfortunately no I have not - have you?

I have been wondering if I'm reading this right.  Here's the NIC support for the installed qemu:

# /usr/libexec/qemu-kvm -net nic,model=help
qemu: Supported NIC models: ne2k_pci,i82551,i82557b,i82559er,rtl8139,e1000,pcnet,virtio

The format of that command indicates an older version of qemu, which is:

# yum list installed | grep qemu
ipxe-roms-qemu.noarch 20180825-2.git133f4c.el7 @base
libvirt-daemon-driver-qemu.x86_64 4.5.0-33.el7 @base
qemu-img.x86_64 10:1.5.3-173.el7_8.1 @updates
qemu-kvm.x86_64 10:1.5.3-173.el7_8.1 @updates
qemu-kvm-common.x86_64 10:1.5.3-173.el7_8.1 @updates

I'm tempted to build a newer version from source, but of course I'm sure that will break something 🙂

** On a related topic, have you tried to install ESXi 6.7?  It recognizes the e1000 emulated NIC and does install, however it acts like it cannot communicate over the network - can't even get a DHCP address.

The answer to this question fascinates me as well.

Quote from color tunnel  on September 5, 2022, 11:50 pm

The answer to this question fascinates me as well.

Do you have another answer? I also get the struggle. It is best if you can help me.

Quote from odismoeller on September 5, 2022, 11:50 pm

The answer to this question fascinates me as well.  happy wheels

I tried installing ESXi 6.7 but it still doesn't support. Has anyone made any progress yet?

I never realized how much I needed a massage chair until I tried one. It's like having a personal masseuse at home! Best massage chair for tall person

I'm on RHEL8.5 and I'm trying to configure a VM with a vmxnet3 network card. dinosaur game
I think it is supposed to work because vmxnet3 driver are mentioned in Release notes until RHEL8.3 as "VMware vmxnet3 virtual NIC driver (vmxnet3.ko.xz) has been updated to version 1.5.0.0-k." and I can't find any subsequent deprecation notice.

But when I launch a VM with this network card type I got en error like this (this from Virtual Machine Manager):
internal error: qemu unexpectedly closed the monitor: 2022-02-06T00:00:51.346862Z qemu-kvm: -device vmxnet3,netdev=hostnet1,id=net1,mac=52:54:00:33:cb:b3,bus=pci.10,addr=0x1: 'vmxnet3' is not a valid device model name

it's work for me. thx

mario games

Amazing

Page 1 of 2Next