Antsle Forum

Welcome to our Antsle community! This forum is to connect all Antsle users to post experiences, make user-generated content available for the entire community and more. 

Please note: This forum is about discussing one specific issue at a time. No generalizations. No judgments. Please check the Forum Rules before posting. If you have specific questions about your Antsle and expect a response from our team directly, please continue to use the appropriate channels (email: [email protected]) so every inquiry is tracked. 

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

USB Passthru changing device number

I've had such a headache trying to access external USB drives.  Upgrading to latest antman and edgeLinux has made things worse.

The latest issue has it so I cannot start my antlet at all.

I set up USB Passthough on a drive I had plugged in. Something unknown happened and the drive disconnected somehow, resulting in all kinds of errors. Anyway, I stopped the antlet, disconnected the drive and tested on another computer. Drive is fine.

Plugged it back into the antsle and I cannot start it. It gives the error "Cannot find Device 3 on Bus 1" or something like that.  The drive now shows up as Device 8 on Bus 1, even though it is on the same USB port as before. I cannot remove the USB passthrough setting for Bus 1, Device 3, because it doesn't show up in the UI. There is nothing to uncheck.

I attempted to edit the antlet-libvirt.xml file, and change the device number to 8. This seemed straightforward but I get the same error, still saying Bus 1 Device 3.  I assume the .xml file hasn't been reparsed and there should be a command to do that, right?

I couldn't find a command so do a restart of antman in the UI (2.1.0c by the way, with edgeLinux 0.12.1).  Antman doesn't ever start up again. The only way I've found to do it is to run upgrade-antman, which seems to redownload and install and then start it. That can't be right.

This has been happening to me, too.  Although I only do the USB Passthrough on devices I have connected to a USB hub (I'm using passthrough for a video capture device and a USB Bluray drive).

What I have to do is. from a command prompt on the antsle:

virsh edit {antletname}

** if you have an LXC antlet, the syntax is:

virsh -c lxc:/// edit {antletname}

At the bottom of the file (shift-G goes to the bottom), there are sections:

<hostdev ....>

</hostdev>

Between those tags are the address bus = device =

Delete the hostdev sections (all lines between and including the <hostdev> and </hostdev>) for the bus/device it complains it can't find.

Save the file and then start the antlet.

It seems to get new device numbers if I unplug/re-plug the devices in, or the antsle gets rebooted.

Very frustrating...

garrgarr has reacted to this post.
garrgarr

Does anyone have any idea if this will be changed in the future or the underlying reason?

This is a great post...never would have known what to do or what changed after getting a system working the first time.

My Antsle One just did this same thing this weekend.

@lancem your post saved my bacon.

Thank you

lancem has reacted to this post.
lancem

Thank you. I found the virsh command before your response, but it would have saved me quite a bit of time. For the longest time I was editing the antlet-libvirt.xml file in /antlets/(antlet name}  using vi which had no effect even if restarting the antlet.   That file doesn't change when updating with virtsh so it must just be for antman or something.

Quote from divernick on April 16, 2020, 11:22 am

Does anyone have any idea if this will be changed in the future or the underlying reason?

This is a great post...never would have known what to do or what changed after getting a system working the first time.

+1 on this. A lot of time this weekend dealing with exactly this issue