Antsle Forum

Welcome to our Antsle community! This forum is to connect all Antsle users to post experiences, make user-generated content available for the entire community and more. 

Please note: This forum is about discussing one specific issue at a time. No generalizations. No judgments. Please check the Forum Rules before posting. If you have specific questions about your Antsle and expect a response from our team directly, please continue to use the appropriate channels (email: [email protected]) so every inquiry is tracked. 

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Urgent need to restore self-managed KVM backup to another hypervisor

I had some bad luck. My Antsle One XD Pro motherboard looks to have over heated and is physically damaged. It ran almost steady for 4.5 years without issue. I do self managed backups to my Synology NAS. I am in the process of either replacing the motherboard or purchasing a new unit. Both options are not a quick solution. In the interim I have one specific KVM that I urgently need to use. Does anyone have the knowledge or expertise to advise me how I can use the backup file to restore to an alternate hypervisor on one of my workstations. Before I acquired my Antsle, this machine was on VM Workstation and I converted it to KVM. The backup files are compressed. I uncompressed the file but I don't recognize the format. It doesn't have a qcow extension. I'm in a pinch and if I can get this VM back and running it will give me time to sort out the mess with my Antsle. I also think my Synology can run VMs. I will investigate if it does KVM. I am struggling what I need to do with the backup file. I think it would need to be a qcow before I can do anything with it. I would even consider moving to some cloud solution temporarily if I can sort out the questions with the backup file format. Thank you.

Hi @scolberg

Thanks for working with us at antsle Support.

From my understanding, the format being used for backup is encrypted and proprietary for both self-managed and cloud backups.  From looking at the details, it appears the backups are from self-managed storage?

To help recover your antlet (whether cloud or self-managed), here are steps going forward:

1. Install edgeLinux and antMan onto physical or virtual machine.  If using installing as virtual machine, your hypervisor needs to support nested virtualization (so that we can run edgeLinux as virtual machine).

2. When prompted by antMan during activation, setup as new antsle with new serial number.  This will give you serial number (with 9999 for edgeLinux installations on your own hardware).

3. Once you have edgeLinux and antMan installed successfully on physical or virtual machine, you can restore your antlet from cloud or self-managed storage.

4. Once you have your antlet restored, you can then copy the qcow2 file off to another location.

5. When performing edgeLinux on your own hardware, we provide 30-day free trial so you'll have some time to evaluate the product and/or copy off the data needed.  If you decide to keep running edgeLinux on your own hardware, you can purchase support plan such as Essentials Plan.

In my Home Lab, I have also performed nested-virtualization for edgeLinux with other hypervisors, and it does indeed work.

Hope that make sense and helpful for your situation.

Thank you,
antsle Support

Thank you! I installed edgeLinux to an old machine I had lying around. I was able to sign on to antMan before activating. After activation I only get a page stating "We cannot find your license for this antMan...". I can see the license with the command service anthilld status. antHill shows this machine activated with an essential license. How can I resolve this license issue and proceed to restore my antlet?

Hi Scott:

Here are some instructions for troubleshooting license errors below:

Is the anthilld service running on your antsle? Try restarting it in antMan > Services. Or from the command line with
service anthilld restart

You can check the status with
service anthilld status

It might take a couple of minutes for anthilld to retrieve the license file.
It doesn't hurt to restart the antman service as well in antMan > Main menu: Actions > Restart antMan service. Or from the command line with
service antman restart

Can the antsle communicate with the public internet?
ping -c3 8.8.8.8
ping -c3 google.com
ping -c3 anthill.antsle.com

What is the machine id? You can get this from the browser by entering the url you use to open antman and append '/machine-id'
Examples:

http://myantsle.local/machine-id
https://mydomain.antsle.us/machine-id
http://x.x.x.x:3000/machine-id

Where x.x.x.x is the private IP address of the antsle.

As an alternative, you can also download the license file from your anthill.antsle.com account. In the 'My Servers' page click the 'Actions' pulldown for the serial-number with the issue and choose 'Download license'.

From a terminal on your computer you could use 'scp' to copy the file to your antsle (replace the IP addr with the IP addr of your antsle). 'scp' is always available on Mac OS and might work on Windows 10
scp license-xxxx-x-xxxx-xxxx-x.txt [email protected]:/etc/edgeLinux/antman_license

Or use an sftp client like filezilla. Place it in /etc/edgeLinux/. Then rename the file to 'antman_license'.
To rename the file from the command line of the antsle
cd /etc/edgeLinux
mv license-xxxx-x-xxxx-xxxx-x.txt antman_license

Restart the anthilld and antman services
service anthilld restart
service antman restart

Or reboot with the command 'reboot'

If you are still having issues, feel free to contact support@antsle.com and we can assist you.

Thank you,
antsle Support

Thanks Daniel, I did go through the troubleshooting instructions yesterday and everything was fine. I think there must be a process that takes a very long time to fully complete the activation. Everything indicated the activation was complete but clearly it was not. The install is working this morning and nothing changed. My feedback to development would be to build a workflow with status codes to indicate at what stage the activation is in and share that on antHill. Also being transparent how long the process can take would be nice. Why does it take so long to fully activate?

I followed the Self-Managed Restoration (Beta) instructions. I can see the restored antlet under /antlets but it does not show in antMan. I used a different name as described in the instructions. After the restration process I expected this to show on my dashboard. Should it have showed up? The instructions don't indcate there are any additional steps required to do this. It does mention deleting the antlet created to facilitate the restore. How can I get the restored antlet to show on my dashboard?

Hi Scott:

Thanks for the feedback about activation.  I am not sure why it would take so long as I have several antsle's in my Home Lab and they did not appear to take long time for activation.  I'll share this feedback with our developers.

Can you send us ticket by e-mailing support@antsle.com?  We'll have look into this.  It is possible you may have to define the antlet although this is supposed to be done with the restoration process.

Thank you,
antsle Support