Antsle Forum

Welcome to our Antsle community! This forum is to connect all Antsle users to post experiences, make user-generated content available for the entire community and more. 

Please note: This forum is about discussing one specific issue at a time. No generalizations. No judgments. Please check the Forum Rules before posting. If you have specific questions about your Antsle and expect a response from our team directly, please continue to use the appropriate channels (email: [email protected]) so every inquiry is tracked. 

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Upgrading edgeLinux gives "Internal Server Error"

I got a notification yesterday on my antMan GUI that said "edgeLinux 0.11 released". I didn't have time to install it until today.

When I click on the link it takes me to a page that says I need to have the Business Repository enabled as one of the prerequisites. Is that true? There has never been an OS update (as opposed to just antMan) since I got my Antsle last summer, and now I need to sign up for $349/year to get the first one?

Anyway, I went ahead and tried the update just to see what would happen and it does throw an error, but not a very informative one. It downloads the upgrade script to /tmp/elupd-0.11.0 but then that errors out with "500 Internal Server Error". Maybe "401 Not Authorized" would be more appropriate if this is really supposed to fail unless I have a Business plan.

* upload completely sent off: 23 out of 23 bytes
{ [5 bytes data]
< HTTP/1.1 500 Internal Server Error
< Server: nginx/1.10.3
< Date: Sat, 02 Mar 2019 18:51:40 GMT
< Content-Type: application/json; charset=utf-8
< Content-Length: 69
< Connection: keep-alive
< X-Xss-Protection: 1; mode=block
< X-Frame-Options: ALLOW-FROM https://antsle.com
< X-Content-Type-Options: nosniff
< 
{ [69 bytes data]
* Connection #0 to host anthill.antsle.com left intact

To follow up...Proxmox VE runs quite nicely on this hardware.

Hi @bobh,

Thanks for reporting this issue. It should throw an error along the lines of "No business plan detected". I will have a look into this.

For clarification: The Business Repos are updated weekly for Business Plan customers. However we also plan to release OS updates to the community for free once a quarter.

Quote from bobh on March 11, 2019, 10:53 am

To follow up...Proxmox VE runs quite nicely on this hardware.

Did you install Promox VE on Antsle ? this is new and nice, can you give followed steps ?

Yes, I installed Proxmox VE 5.3 on my Antsle and it is working well. I'm pretty sure this is not covered by the warranty though.

If you are comfortable installing Linux on PC hardware it is not especially hard to do. If you need a step-by-step I suggest you install it to a VM on your Antsle or on an old PC before trying it on the Antsle itself.

The Antsle XD uses a fairly popular Supermicro motherboard that is pretty much designed for use as a Linux server. But it is installing a new OS on your device, not putting on new socks. Your box can end up in an un-bootable state if things go wrong. And there are some decisions to make about the boot mode, swap, and partitioning scheme. Like I said, doing some dry runs in a VM is helpful.

That said, here are some things to keep in mind:

• Make an image of your Antsle drives before starting! Be sure you fully understand how to restore the image in case you need to! I used a Linux live USB stick and an external USB hard drive to do this, there are other tools like Ghost that would work. It took several hours to do.
  • You will lose all data on your Antsle. Back up anything you want to keep. Your VMs can be converted but it is a process. Assume you might need to re-create them.
  • Proxmox offers only two options for partition setup in their installer:
    • Traditional Linux LVM but no software RAID.
    • ZFS RAID with rootfs on ZFS. Legacy boot mode only, UEFI not supported.
  • Swap has to be handled specially if you go ZFS. See the installation section of the wiki.
  • You can (and must) install Proxmox over Debian if you want something other than the two options for partitioning.
  • Antsle (XD anyway) is set up by default as UEFI boot. The rootfs and swap are both on regular partitions, not ZFS. So neither of the Proxmox options are exactly the same. You get to decide what you want to change, BIOS settings or partitioning.
rockandroller has reacted to this post.
rockandroller

I'm running PVE 6.0 on two Antsles and it works pretty much flawlessly. With a licensed IPMI config, I've got a great infra stack that is stable and fast. So far I have not come across a lacking capability in Proxmox that AntsleOS/EdgeLinux could do. I love the Antsle hardware, but the software was too immature/unstable when it first came out. I may give it a try again with mention that they are now supporting docker as a more integrated part of Antman.