Antsle Forum

Welcome to our Antsle community! This forum is to connect all Antsle users to post experiences, make user-generated content available for the entire community and more. 

Please note: This forum is about discussing one specific issue at a time. No generalizations. No judgments. Please check the Forum Rules before posting. If you have specific questions about your Antsle and expect a response from our team directly, please continue to use the appropriate channels (email: [email protected]) so every inquiry is tracked. 

Forum breadcrumbs - You are here:ForumGeneral: GeneralSSD drive life check?
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

SSD drive life check?

Hey there - Yesterday my antsle box decided to have the zpool go into a degraded state.  I've had it for a few years and was wondering if the antsle image since its based on ubuntu can have the smartctl utilities loaded?  I'm noticing rpm, apt-get do not work on the platform.  Anyways looking for recommendations so I can check the SSD life and decide if I need to order new ones.

Thanks,

Hi @davidlandry2019

Here are some troubleshooting steps that you can take for degraded zpool:

If you see 'Degraded' State in a zpool, you can run the following commands to clear the messages.

Run a zpool scrub first and clear the errors. In these examples I will specify the 'addon' zpool. Your zpool name may be different - 'antlets' or 'hdd':
zpool scrub addon

Check the status of the scrub with this command:
zpool status addon

When the scrub is finished, clear the errors with:
zpool clear addon

If the Degraded state comes back then we should repair.

------------------------------------------------------

You might have a bad drive. Here are some options:
1. Send it in for repair. If we do the repair it will be $???
2. Repair yourself with the instructions below
3. Recreate the zpool without the bad drive and just run a single drive zpool
Run the 'parted' commands on both drives then create a zpool on the good drive with
zpool create hdd -m /hdd /dev/sda
zfs set atime=off hdd
zfs set compression=off hdd

To Repair yourself:
It is worth replacing the SATA cable first as we have seen it fix a 'DEGRADED' drive. {{only for degraded HDD}}

'zpool status hdd' will tell you which drive is degraded.
To get sn# of degraded/faulted drive - sdb in this example

udevadm info --query=all --name=/dev/sdb |grep ID_SERIAL

The serial number can be found on the physical HDDs label... Replace the physical drive
To start the resilver process (re-mirror) run

zpool replace addon /dev/sdb

You can watch the resilver process with 'zpool status hdd'.
The 'old' drive will disappear when the resilvering is complete

If replacing the SATA cables, the motherboard needs to be removed
To open the antsle remove the four feet and the two screws on the front and rear edge of the bottom panel.
Remove the rear panel four screws, one in each corner. This will make it easier to reinstall the motherboard.

Thanks,
antsle Support

I think you should upgrade the SSD instead of buying a new one, it will save you more money. Eggy Car

@Stumble guys 

The SSD was updated, You would save money