Antsle Forum

Welcome to our Antsle community! This forum is to connect all Antsle users to post experiences, make user-generated content available for the entire community and more. 

Please note: This forum is about discussing one specific issue at a time. No generalizations. No judgments. Please check the Forum Rules before posting. If you have specific questions about your Antsle and expect a response from our team directly, please continue to use the appropriate channels (email: [email protected]) so every inquiry is tracked. 

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Samba SA-1:Error Start-stop-daemon: failed to start

Maybe I posted the following issue in the wrong group.

https://antsle.com/forum/topic/system-service-start-error-samba/?part=1#postid-122

Samba services won't start from within Antman and I get the attached error. Samba logs are empty, and it won't start manually either.

My backup plan of using sshfs with a Pi is no longer an option, since my Pi died. With our files living off an Antlet now, we cannot get to them

Any HELP is greatly appreciated!

-Akak

Uploaded files:
  • samba-error.png

Hi akak01000101,

You need to provide a samba configuration at /etc/samba/smb.conf

There's an example at /etc/samba/smb.conf.default, you could copy this one to smb.conf. After that, the service should start normally:

service samba restart

Thanks for the response. I was under the impression that the Samba service started by AntMan running on myantsle would allow CIFS to pass through myantsle to an antlet that has samba shares configured. I have smb.conf configured on an antlet with an external drive mounted to the antlet. We are trying to have our windows machines see it from a local 192.168.x.x network.

That is what we are trying to accomplish.

-akak

Hey akak01000101,

That's also possible 🙂 ... What you need is a bridged network interface. You can check how to configure it here:

https://docs.antsle.com/bridgevnic/

After you finish configuring a bridged NIC, your antlet can connect to your local network, just as any other computer/device inside your network.

Let us know how it goes!

That worked great, BUT....

Under Ubuntu, the bridged network connection cannot connect through port 22010 from my local network like I used to before I created the bridge:

$ ssh -v -p 22010 [email protected]
OpenSSH_7.6p1, OpenSSL 1.0.2n 7 Dec 2017
debug1: Connecting to myantsle.local [192.168.1.25] port 22010.
debug1: connect to address 192.168.1.25 port 22010: Connection timed out
ssh: connect to host myantsle.local port 22010: Connection timed out

It works fine connecting from my local network over the bridge:

$ ssh [email protected]
[email protected]'s password:

and works fine connecting if I'm on myantsle

root@myantsle:/ # ssh [email protected]
[email protected]'s password:

I did created a separate true debian antlet and I can connect in all 3 methods perfectly fine. Any thoughts?

-akak

Hi akak,

Yes, as of today it is not possible to use a Bridged NIC & port forwarding together, it is a known issue. We haven't put too much attention on it because, arguably, you don't need port forwarding if you have a bridged NIC, as you have all ports available on the bridged IP.

If this is a high concern for you, let us know and we'll see what we can do.

Cheers!

I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. We can live with this, but is a nice to have. Then we don't have to remember which antlets are bridged and which aren't when trying to login and administer them. Bridging primarily for a running service and not to login.

Nice to know it is on your list of things to do though.

Thanks for the help!

-Akak