Antsle Forum

Welcome to our Antsle community! This forum is to connect all Antsle users to post experiences, make user-generated content available for the entire community and more. 

Please note: This forum is about discussing one specific issue at a time. No generalizations. No judgments. Please check the Forum Rules before posting. If you have specific questions about your Antsle and expect a response from our team directly, please continue to use the appropriate channels (email: [email protected]) so every inquiry is tracked. 

Forum breadcrumbs - You are here:ForumGeneral: GeneralRDP into Raspbian/X
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

RDP into Raspbian/X

I've spun up a raspbianx antler.  I see that the port forwarding for 3389 has already been created.   I try to rdp into it with <myip>:<source port> as the pc name.  Microsoft Remote Desktop says it can't find the pc.  I was able to ssh in as root.  Do I need to start the desktop from ssh or something first?

I tried "startx" from the terminal but got a "command not found".   Do I need to install the desktop?

Hi Lee:

By default, there are two port forwards created for each antlet (one for SSH and one for RDP).

Since our Raspbian template is based on LXC-type, it only supports using SSH for access.
We've got couple Ubuntu antlets that are KVM-type, which means they can support GUI (not included in the template but can be added).

https://docs.antsle.com/antlets/antlets#lxc-or-kvm-antlets

Even those KVM's without can still be accessed by clicking on Console after the antlet is started.

With our Ubuntu 20.04 KVM template, you can install XFCE Desktop Environment with this command.

sudo apt install xfce4

So, in case I've misunderstood.  LXC containers can't run desktops?   Why is the RaspianX template included...isn't it's whole point that it puts a windows look and feel on top of Raspbian?

Thanks for the help,

Lee

Hi Lee:

Yes, the LXC's can't run GUI Desktops so we've got KVM templates such as Ubuntu and Fedora available.  There are also other DE's (Desktop Environments) to choose from besides XFCE4 as mentioned above.

The Raspbian LXC template is available for people that want to use command-line version of their programs and servers.