Antsle Forum

Welcome to our Antsle community! This forum is to connect all Antsle users to post experiences, make user-generated content available for the entire community and more. 

Please note: This forum is about discussing one specific issue at a time. No generalizations. No judgments. Please check the Forum Rules before posting. If you have specific questions about your Antsle and expect a response from our team directly, please continue to use the appropriate channels (email: [email protected]) so every inquiry is tracked. 

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Oversubscribed RAM. Can't start antlet

Folks,

I have an Antsle D+ with 64GB of memory.  I have 4 antlets defined (see attachment). Two are running at present. The allocated ram should be only 40GB (24+16).  However, the antsle dashboard is reporting 98% of the ram being used.  When I try to start one of the other antlets the Antman reports that my RAM is oversubscribed and I have to stop one or more antlets to free up resources!  Why specify RAM limits if Antman ignores them and allocates unused memory to the running antlets?  Coratina in particular (24GB allocated) is a production server and it is highly inconvenient to stop it to launch others.

I've also noticed that when ONLY Coratina is running, it too will consume 98% of available ram.  It doesn't happen immediately, but over the course of a couple of hours the % allocated grows from 40% (expected) to 98%.  Coratina is a 2016 WinServer instance.  Leccino is a 2010 Windows 10 Pro instance.

What gives?

Uploaded files:
  • Antlet-RAM.jpg

About the 98% RAM utilization, it is may be due to ZFS ARC using it as a cache to speed up the system. It releases it back as soon as another process needs it. It's actually an interesting read. https://www.zfsbuild.com/2010/04/15/explanation-of-arc-and-l2arc/

About the RAM being oversubscribed, I've heard from some others here that it's a good practice to leave about 20% of the total RAM unused for the system to do it's thing and orchestrate things when needed. That could possibly help.