Antsle Forum

Welcome to our Antsle community! This forum is to connect all Antsle users to post experiences, make user-generated content available for the entire community and more. 

Please note: This forum is about discussing one specific issue at a time. No generalizations. No judgments. Please check the Forum Rules before posting. If you have specific questions about your Antsle and expect a response from our team directly, please continue to use the appropriate channels (email: [email protected]) so every inquiry is tracked. 

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Manually create template

I have a qcow2 file that I created from a virtual machine from VMWare. Now I am trying to import this as a template. I started the import yesterday morning; so it has been importing for about 20 hours! Since this is about 80GB, I did not use the drag and drop option. I specified the image file path. I have looked at the file system on the Antsle and do not see any changes to the _templates directory.

My question is...Is there a way that I can just manually copy the qcow2 file into the _templates directory, then edit a file somewhere to let antMan know that there is a template there?

Hey @djurden!

I think what takes that long is the conversion from .vmdk in the .qcow2 format. If you convert the image into the qcow2 format before importing it, it will save you quite some time.

To convert, run the following command: `qemu-img convert -O qcow2  <image-name>.vmdk <new-image-name>.qcow2`

It's best to run the command in a tmux session, so you can close the terminal without interrupting the process.

When you import the qcow2 image now, antMan will create the ZFS filesystem for you, copy all the necessary files in the correct locations (with 80GB that will still take a while) and create the correct XML-file to actually use it for creating antlets.

Let me know how it goes!

Best, Marc