Antsle Forum

Welcome to our Antsle community! This forum is to connect all Antsle users to post experiences, make user-generated content available for the entire community and more. 

Please note: This forum is about discussing one specific issue at a time. No generalizations. No judgments. Please check the Forum Rules before posting. If you have specific questions about your Antsle and expect a response from our team directly, please continue to use the appropriate channels (email: [email protected]) so every inquiry is tracked. 

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Just got the Nano and set it up without issue!

Hello Anstle team, users, and fans!

I am writing to say that my first experience with my Nano has gone really smoothly! I got the device in the mail today and went to  docs.antsle.com/setup-nano as instructed. I followed each of the steps and I'm good to go! I just came here to say so immediately after doing so, so I haven't had a chance to go through the settings or create my first antlet but I am very excited to do so!

I also signed up on anthill and was thinking I would go ahead and look into getting ssl set up first thing. Does anyone else have any suggestions for a first time user? My interests are to run development servers for WordPress websites as well as other Node.js applications that I develop.

Thanks again for the Nano!

lancem has reacted to this post.
lancem

@keneucker so happy to hear that! I'm posting internally this for our team to see!! My very small two cents is to take a snapshot of your antlet once you get Wordpress installed and then create a template from that snapshot. Then you can use that as the basis for your Wordpress servers.

That will save on storage space (antlets only take up additional space as they diverge from their parent template) and also give it better performance across all the children (it has to do with how our file system, ZFS, uses free RAM as a cache).

keneucker has reacted to this post.
keneucker

@ddmscott can do, will do, and thanks for the heads up!

Regarding this base template: Is it possible, then, to update a parent template and have that propagate through the snapshots? Could I possibly have a parent of WordPress_5 that I have a WordPress_5__project1 snapshot and a WordPress_5_project2 underneath? Or is that not possible and I would end up with something closer to a parent of WordPress_5.1 and then later another parent named WordPress_5.2 with a separate set of snapshots?

Hi @keneucker. It would be the latter. The reason is that once a template has been created it remains static, so if you have an updated version later you'd create a new template. I think that's a pretty cool idea though.

keneucker has reacted to this post.
keneucker

Thanks for clarifying, @ddmscott. That makes sense and is easy enough to manage!

Quote from Daniel Scott on May 1, 2020, 4:24 pm

@keneucker so happy to hear that! I'm posting internally this for our team to see!! My very small two cents is to take a snapshot of your antlet once you get Wordpress installed and then create a template from that snapshot. Then you can use that as the basis for your Wordpress servers.

That will save on storage space (antlets only take up additional space as they diverge from their parent template) and also give it better performance across all the children (it has to do with how our file system, ZFS, uses free RAM as a cache).

Is this why I usually see 90% RAM usage within antMan?