Antsle Forum

Welcome to our Antsle community! This forum is to connect all Antsle users to post experiences, make user-generated content available for the entire community and more. 

Please note: This forum is about discussing one specific issue at a time. No generalizations. No judgments. Please check the Forum Rules before posting. If you have specific questions about your Antsle and expect a response from our team directly, please continue to use the appropriate channels (email: [email protected]) so every inquiry is tracked. 

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Fedora 28 - virtual NIC - bridge network - static IP not assigned

I installed the Fedora LXC and setup a virtual NIC for a bridged network. The static IP address I defined is not being assigned. In my google research I found an issue that sounds similar.

"The reason is that the networkd systemd unit somehow makes use of the kernel keyring, which doesn't work inside unprivileged containers right now. The line below followed by a restart of the containers makes that system call return not-implemented which is enough of a workaround to get things going again."

lxc profile set default security.syscalls.blacklist "keyctl errno 38"

I tried the command from my Fedora container command line but get "lxc command not found".

My question is, do you think I am on the right track? If so, should this command be run from the host OS command line (Gentoo in my case) or the container command line? Do I need to install something to add the lxc commands?

daniel.luck has reacted to this post.
daniel.luck

Hi @scolberg

I'm assuming that you are using the Fedora - LXC template created by antsle.
I'm seeing similar errors when trying to access the bridged network (eth1) even when using DHCP.

We are looking into this issue and we'll keep you updated.

Thanks,
antsle Support

Thanks for the response. I am using the Antsle provided template. Was your test on a Gentoo box or a CentOS box?

daniel.luck

Hi @scolberg

Yes, thanks for asking.
All of my antsle's are running CentOS-based edgeLinux (2.0 or higher).

I'm also working on new template for Fedora 36 - LXC but the new Fedora is based on nmcli and NetworkManager.
I'm reaching out to our developers and I'll keep you updated.

Thanks,
antsle Support

Thanks for confirming. I was tempted to try the upgrade this weekend, thinking the issue might be related to Gentoo. The product and sandbox I am attempting to build is certified for the Red Hat equivalent version of Fedora 28. If Fedora 36 ends up working, I will try to use it for the installation of my servers. Since it is a sandbox, I don't mind testing the newer OS as well.

Looking forward to your update.

Regards,

Shawn

daniel.luck

Hi @scolberg

I released template for Fedora 36 - LXC for x64-86 tonight.  All of my systems are running edgeLinux 2.0 or higher (CentOS-based).  Can you let me know how it works on your side?

Since Fedora v30 and above, you need to use nmcli (NetworkManager) to configure your network.
You can refer to this article (command-line section) about configuring using nmcli (NetworkManager):

How to configure a static IP address on Fedora

Here are sample commands that I ran to configure static IP address on one of my Fedora 36 antlets:

[root@fedora ~]# nmcli connection show
[root@fedora ~]# nmcli connection modify 3fda2974-55a1-3bc8-b1cc-6a3c6418c65e IPv4.address 192.168.1.20/24
[root@fedora ~]# nmcli connection modify 3fda2974-55a1-3bc8-b1cc-6a3c6418c65e IPv4.gateway 192.168.1.1
[root@fedora ~]# nmcli connection modify 3fda2974-55a1-3bc8-b1cc-6a3c6418c65e IPv4.dns 192.168.1.1
[root@fedora ~]# nmcli connection modify 3fda2974-55a1-3bc8-b1cc-6a3c6418c65e IPv4.method manual
[root@fedora ~]# nmcli connection down 3fda2974-55a1-3bc8-b1cc-6a3c6418c65e
Connection 'Wired connection 2' successfully deactivated (D-Bus active path: /org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/ActiveConnection/2)
[root@fedora ~]# nmcli connection up 3fda2974-55a1-3bc8-b1cc-6a3c6418c65e
Connection successfully activated (D-Bus active path: /org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/ActiveConnection/3)
[root@fedora ~]# ip addr show eth1
37: eth1@if38: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc noqueue state UP group default qlen 1000
link/ether 52:54:00:19:9d:04 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff link-netnsid 0
inet 192.168.1.20/24 brd 192.168.1.255 scope global noprefixroute eth1
valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
inet6 fe80::d3cf:1fce:d62d:88e7/64 scope link noprefixroute
valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever

On the antsle's that I tested with, the Fedora 36 - LXC template worked with bridged network (br0) with DHCP out-of-the-box without any configuration.  On one of the antlets, I had configured with Static IP address using commands above.

Thanks,
antsle Support

I can confirm that the new LXC template works for both DHCP and Static IP on my Gentoo box. DHCP worked without any configuration 🙂

Thank you

daniel.luck

Hi @scolberg

Thanks for the feedback and testing!

Thank you,
antsle Support