Antsle Forum

Welcome to our Antsle community! This forum is to connect all Antsle users to post experiences, make user-generated content available for the entire community and more. 

Please note: This forum is about discussing one specific issue at a time. No generalizations. No judgments. Please check the Forum Rules before posting. If you have specific questions about your Antsle and expect a response from our team directly, please continue to use the appropriate channels (email: [email protected]) so every inquiry is tracked. 

Forum breadcrumbs - You are here:ForumGeneral: edgeLinux/antManCPU Cores, antMan
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

CPU Cores, antMan

Can someone tell me if antman is actually using all my cpu power? I bought this server used and install AntMan on it. I believe it has 4 cpus and 4 cores per cpu, which means I should have 16 cores but antman is only showing 4 cores... Its a Dell poweredge R420

Hi bradkuhl:

You could always use the top command to look at processes and how much CPU % is being used.

It appears you have 4 cores per socket and one socket, that may be what you are seeing in the UI.

The number of cores per socket is what you see in the UI as far as I can tell.  So, you see that you have 4 cores on one socket in lscpu, right?

I have an R620 running edgeLinux 2.0.0.  The R620 I have  has 2 Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2660 v2 @ 2.20GHz so it has effectively 40 CPUs (0-39) on 2 sockets of 10 cores per socket.  Looking at the lscpu output you have only 4 NUMA node0 CPUs.  You only have 1 NUMA node.

Look at my lscpu output:

Architecture: x86_64
CPU op-mode(s): 32-bit, 64-bit
Byte Order: Little Endian
CPU(s): 40 <<< this is a little deceptive as it is the number of logical CPUs, i.e., Cores x Threads/Core x Sockets (10 x 2 x 2)
On-line CPU(s) list: 0-39
Thread(s) per core: 2
Core(s) per socket: 10
Socket(s): 2
NUMA node(s): 2
Vendor ID: GenuineIntel
CPU family: 6
Model: 62
Model name: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2660 v2 @ 2.20GHz
Stepping: 4
CPU MHz: 1200.036
CPU max MHz: 3000.0000
CPU min MHz: 1200.0000
BogoMIPS: 4400.27
Virtualization: VT-x
L1d cache: 32K
L1i cache: 32K
L2 cache: 256K
L3 cache: 25600K
NUMA node0 CPU(s): 0,2,4,6,8,10,12,14,16,18,20,22,24,26,28,30,32,34,36,38
NUMA node1 CPU(s): 1,3,5,7,9,11,13,15,17,19,21,23,25,27,29,31,33,35,37,39

To understand this I recommend this article <https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/468766/understanding-output-of-lscpu&gt; adapting that article to your question:

"CPU(s): 4" represents the number of logical cores, which equals “Thread(s) per core” (1 in your case) × “Core(s) per socket” (4 in your case) × “Socket(s)” (1 in your case). One socket is one physical CPU package (which occupies one socket on the motherboard); each socket hosts a number of physical cores, and each core can run one or more threads, in your case one.  Also, in your case, you have one socket, that contains a 4-core Xeon E5-2407 CPU, and since that's running as VT-x  each core can run 1 thread, that CPU can't do Hyper-Threading so it won't do 2 threads per core.

“NUMA node” represents the memory architecture; “NUMA” stands for “non-uniform memory architecture”. In your system, the socket is attached to certain DIMM slots, and each physical CPU package (you have one) contains a memory controller which handles a part of the total RAM. As a result, in your configuration all physical memory is equally accessible from your single CPU: the one physical CPU can directly access the memory it controls. In your system, logical cores 0–3 are in one NUMA node (node0), there are no other sockets so there is no other, e.g., node1. So since one NUMA node equals one socket, at least in typical Xeon systems, that's why you're seeing 4 cores.