Antsle Forum

Welcome to our Antsle community! This forum is to connect all Antsle users to post experiences, make user-generated content available for the entire community and more. 

Please note: This forum is about discussing one specific issue at a time. No generalizations. No judgments. Please check the Forum Rules before posting. If you have specific questions about your Antsle and expect a response from our team directly, please continue to use the appropriate channels (email: [email protected]) so every inquiry is tracked. 

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Could not define libvirt domain for antlet...

I have a template that I imported. It is from a Windows VM that existed on VMWare. I converted it to a qcow2 file before importing.

Now when I try to create an antlet using that template I get a message that says:

1 Could not define libvirt domain for antlet HRTest

What does this mean and how do I fix it?

What's the name of the template?  Is it also called HRTest?

The name of the template is HRTest  - KVM. I have tried naming the antlet HRTest and Plant. I get the same message both ways.

I'm having the same problem on a new install of EdgeLinux.  I created a template from a Windows 10 VM on VirtualBox - converted from .vdi to .img to .qcow2.  The VM is called Win10c.  The import was for SATA disk and E1000 nic, same as in VirtualBox.

I get the same "1 Could not define libvirt domain for antlet Win10c".

I've been able to create antlets from downloaded templates - both LXC and KVM so there doesn't seem to be a problem with the system config.

Any suggestions of log files, config files, etc to check would be greatly appreciated.

I discovered that system logs are in /var/log/messages (I'm more familiar with Debian based sytems in /var/log/syslog).  The related error is that /usr/bin/qemu-system-x86_64 doesn't exist.  The qemu-kvm.x86_64 package wasn't install.  Installing it allowed my to create the antlet.

However, the antlet wouldn't start, throwing an "unsupported configuration: vmport is not available with this QEMU binary".  Checked the version of qemu and it is 1.5.3.  Current version is 4.  I was able to update to 2.12.0 manually, but still the same error.  To get newer than that I think I'd have to compile from source which seems like asking for even more trouble that the manual upgrade.

The vmport feature seems to be related to VMware port emulation.  Any suggestions on how to modify the Virtualbox VM so it doesn't use that?

Same problem here.

Downloaded Win2012 - KVM, (Could not Define libvirt domain for antlet xxxx)

Ok, so we need to wait for an ARM version of windows.

Lets try Fedora31 - KVM, directly obtained from antMan.

Same error again, Could not Define libvirt domain for antlet Fedora.

Why all these errors ?

Mine worked fine with standard templates - it was only the VirtualBox Windows 10 machine that wouldn't work.  Of course the server is a fanless machine with an Intel processor, so that avoided the arm processor problems.

I finally got it working by using https://docs.platform9.com/openstack/tutorials/migrate-windows-vm-vmware-kvm/ as a guide.   In step 2 I just right clicked->installed the specified drivers instead of going through device manager.  In step 4 I removed Oracle VirtualBox tools instead of VMware tools.  In step 6 I copied the vdi file to the antsle server (on a partition with lots of space - my vdi is 50GB) and converted it there.

Importing the newly created qcow2 file as template in antman worked specifying virtio drivers, but same problem with vmport when I started the antlet.

My eventual solution was to create an antlet with the "Blank virtio - KVM" template and replace the Blank-virtio.qcow2 file with my qcow2 file.  The antlet booted, Windows went through a bunch startup stuff and then I had a running VM.  Only thing that had to be done after that was reactivate the license.