Antsle Forum

Welcome to our Antsle community! This forum is to connect all Antsle users to post experiences, make user-generated content available for the entire community and more. 

Please note: This forum is about discussing one specific issue at a time. No generalizations. No judgments. Please check the Forum Rules before posting. If you have specific questions about your Antsle and expect a response from our team directly, please continue to use the appropriate channels (email: [email protected]) so every inquiry is tracked. 

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Can't install edgeLinux on VM

Page 1 of 2Next

I'm trying to create an edgeLinux VM, and I'm having trouble with a particular part. After setting up and configuring them VM using the GUI, I get to a black screen asking for my username and password I give them (root, and the password I set up prior), but then I get an error saying "Failed to start edgeLinux installer, please check your network connection and reboot to try again". I can see the ethernet connection isn't setup, and can fix that using dhclient, but I can only seem to do that AFTER the installation fails, and rebooting causes the connection to not work again. I've tried this on 2 different host OS's each using different hypervisors, and have gotten the same outcome each time. What do I need to do to complete installation? Thank you.

Hi @zython

There is a common issue that the network interface needs to be manually enabled while on the ISO installer, we're working on customizing the CentOS ISO to automatically be enabled, but is a required step as of today.

You could also enable the interface after the fact with the command nmtui, and select "Activate interface". Alternatively you can start over from the ISO and make sure you manually enable the interface in the ISO network section.

Hi @mardo

I am having the same issue as @zython. I went back and reinstalled edgeLunix using the ISO making sure to activate the network interface, I thought I had done this the first time around. After reboot, I still had the same error. I used the nmtui command and selected "Activate a connection" and had to activate it once again. After reboot, I continue to have the same issue when trying to install edgeLinux. I am also able to ping outside of my network from the command line.

Any other ideas on what could be causing this?

Emilio

Dear Support @ Antsle:

I had the same issue with centos 7 (of which Antsle is based on) using VMWare Player 15 on Windows 10.

I followed instructions here to get network online (although using the 'nmtui' command is probably easier).

https://geekflare.com/no-internet-connection-from-vmware-with-centos-7/

After that I rebooted and logged in as root in the console.

Yes, I'm experiencing the same issue where it tries to install after each reboot.

Daniel

After trying couple times, I've noticed the installer gets stuck when trying to configure zfs (at least for me).

See attached screenshot.

Daniel

Uploaded files:
  • daniel_edge_error.PNG

Hi @dluck007

This is a known issue that existed in an ISO about a week old. As a workaround, please re-download the ISO and make sure you don't run yum update. We're working on providing a long-term fix.

I'll give this a try.  Thanks for your help!

I'm also looking into building my own vmhost with vmware esxi (so that may help).

I downloaded the ISO last night and ran through the install to evaluate this before I bought an appliance, and am running into this same issue. I have the network set and can resolve dns / ping outside the network, etc - but am having the same issue where the installer fails and tells me to fix the network - is the ISO net yet fixed, or am I missing something?

Thanks

I got my vmhost up and running on dell precision workstation and vmware esxi 6.7.

I'm still getting the same error about zfs when trying to install.  Also, I couldn't use automatic partitioning during the install.  I had to choose manual and then configure for me.

FYI - I was able to migrate my existing centos and debian vm's to this new vmhost.

Daniel

Uploaded files:
  • edge_linux_vmhost.PNG

Since I didn't install .ISO file on the virtual machine, I tried it at least 3-4 times, stuck at the same error message, I thought that my hardware is possibly not compatible, so decided to install other linux distro and they all passed, I decided to give a last shot before install Linux Mint and running EdgeLinux (CentOS), and end up at the same error message as you guys.

Now, disappointingly, the company Antsle assumes the installation of EdgeLinux is like Windows, we only click, and click and click, that's all, assuming this is a extremely perfect world, which is not. That error message is the beginning. So, I stuck on a black screen to login, once I login as "root", installation after 7-10 minutes, stops, cannot connect to the Internet, so, I did a "ls" to find out what options do I have, found this file "anaconda-ks.cfg", after googling for few minutes, I found this is a kickstart file created to automate the installation, wonderful! But how do we fix the Internet connection? So, I tried to edit the network settings, .. guess what, we cannot even navigate further..

So, I googled "nmtui" thankfully, Redhat provides some info on "nmtui", since I am ubuntu user, "service network-manager" will not work, but, here's a "but" coming... "yum" works, but again, no network connection, so I ran " nmtui, and select "Activate interface" ... how wonderful, right? after reboot, I am back to the same spot "no network connection", extremely wonderful! No mention of this anywhere, good job!

So, I ran the " nmtui, and select "Activate interface" command, and selected my interface to activate the internet, Excellent! Ping http://www.google.ca, works! Now what? How to tell the installation not to roll back .... I checked Redhat says, to install "nmtui" run the command "yum install NetworkManager-tui" ---> possibly unnecessary, but I still did it, and "nmtui".

Now comes the fun part, here's what got me connected to the internet and I was able to run the installation <----

once you logged on to the root account:

run> nmtui edit --> look up your ethernet device, mine was "enp9s0", and I click on the "Automatic connect" ---> BINGO! after the reboot, the device will automatically connect to the internet!

run> reboot ----> machine reboots, then login with your root, account, and the installation starts!

At one point I ran into a question: "select your zpool configuration", the video https://www.loom.com/share/3881ee11902f47eeb81d4f548f908096 says, "I am going to select Mirror Anlets", wonderful! Again, assuming that the world is extremely perfect and round, and no need for explanation what those options are for, and what would a  first time user be choosing.

Anyways, the installation started, that's what I am happy about, the whole process takes about 50 minutes to download load of Redhat/CentOS files.

dluck007 has reacted to this post.
dluck007
Page 1 of 2Next