Antsle Forum

Welcome to our Antsle community! This forum is to connect all Antsle users to post experiences, make user-generated content available for the entire community and more. 

Please note: This forum is about discussing one specific issue at a time. No generalizations. No judgments. Please check the Forum Rules before posting. If you have specific questions about your Antsle and expect a response from our team directly, please continue to use the appropriate channels (email: [email protected]) so every inquiry is tracked. 

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Cannot start antlet from imported VMDK

Page 1 of 2Next

I created a new template from a VMDK from VMWare. It uses SATA controller. I then created a new antlet from that template and then tried to start the antlet. I get this message:

internal error: process exited while connecting to monitor: 2019-12-31T01:12:22.261572Z qemu-system-x86_64: -drive file=/antlets/Quickbooks/QuickBooks.vmdk,format=vmdk,if=none,id=drive-sata0-0-0: Could not open '/antlets/Quickbooks/QuickBooks-flat.vmdk': No such file or directory

Any advice would be appreciated. I have several more VM's I would like to import.

Oh...wait...This is a Windows 8 VM. This version of Windows may not be supported?

I assume the antlet's name is 'Quickbooks' (only Q capitalized)?

Does that file /antlets/Quickbooks/QuickBooks.vmdk exist?

Or could it be in /antlets/Quickbooks/antsle:volume/QuickBooks.vmdk

The case matters, so if the path is /antlets/QuickBooks/... that would be  different than /antlets/Quickbooks

Windows 8 should work (I have 2 Windows 7 antlets)

In the error message it references a file named QuickBooks-flat.vmdk. That does not exist. Am I doing something wrong?

Here was my process:

1. Copy QuickBooks.vmdk from VMWare server to local machine.
  2. Create new template in Antman by dragging the vmdk onto the web page in the area noted.
  3. Create a new Antlet from that template.
  4. Start up the new Antlet...get the error.

Oh I missed that part in the message.

From the antsle terminal, if you type:

cd /antlets/Quickbooks

ls -l

(that's ell ess dash ell)

Does it show QuickBooks.vmdk or QuickBooks-flat.vmdk ?

If it shows QuickBooks.vmdk, try:

mv QuickBooks.vmdk QuickBooks-flat.vmdk

This will rename the file to match what the antsle is looking for.

Then maybe it will start?

The file on the Antsle is QuickBooks.vmdk.

When I copied the QuickBooks.vmdk from the VMWare server, 627 bytes were copied. The actual vmdk on the server is 150GB!

I made a copy of the file on the VMWare server. It created a QuickBooks-flat.vmdk which was the actual size. I am now downloading that from the VMWare server and then going to copy it to the folder for the Antlet on the Antsle.  Then I'll start it. But it is taking a LONG time to copy the file around to different servers.

I guess there is probably a way to copy directly from the VMWare server to the Antsle?

Well...that did not work either. Now trying to create a template from the larger QuickBooks-flat.vmdx.

This page in the docs talks about using a VMDK file as a virtual drive:

https://docs.antsle.com/import/

There are a lot of broken links to the Antsle documentation, that above is one...

Since they re-did the Docs, the new link is:

https://docs.antsle.com/templates/import-vm-images

Page 1 of 2Next