Antsle Forum

Welcome to our Antsle community! This forum is to connect all Antsle users to post experiences, make user-generated content available for the entire community and more. 

Please note: This forum is about discussing one specific issue at a time. No generalizations. No judgments. Please check the Forum Rules before posting. If you have specific questions about your Antsle and expect a response from our team directly, please continue to use the appropriate channels (email: [email protected]) so every inquiry is tracked. 

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Bricked Antsle (nearly) after upgrade-edgelinux 0.13.0

So folks, I probably should have started reading here initially considering all of you had several issues with 0.13.x.  Here is where I am at....
Current Status:

• Antman runs - starts, reboots, etc.
  • No pools visible.
  • ZFS won't start.
  • Docker won't start
  • SSH not accessible.

Anyone have any ideas on how to recover?  I put in a support ticket, but I find it mildly ironic that there is a 12 hour promised response when there is a smaller than 12 hour working window Mondy - Friday.  Don't get me wrong, all the support I get is amazing, but when I have these moments...impatience gets the better of me considering.

@alkalinecandy, sorry to hear that. I didn't know that edgeLinux 0.13 was available with running upgrade-edgelinux. Is that how you upgraded?

About the 12 hour support response time, it's 12 business hours which means you may get a response the following day. Although we usually aim to make it much quicker than that, priority goes to those with faster guaranteed response times.

Here are the instructions to roll back. 

You'll need a USB stick with the following image:

https://static-files.hau.to:8443/edgeLinux/sysrec.iso

Once you have the USB ready, connect a monitor, a keyboard and the USB stick; then boot from it. You could also use the ipmi.

Once in the sysrec OS, download the rollback shell script and execute. You can use the following commands to do so:

chmod +x edgelinux-rollback.sh
./edgelinux-rollback.sh
PLEASE NOTE: This script only works on Antsles, not edgeLinux installs (software only solution). Essentially the Antsles have a specific partition format that we are expecting.

After the script finishes, shutdown your server by executing:

shutdown -h now

Remove the USB stick, and boot normally. You should be able to access your previous environment before the upgrade.

lancem and John S have reacted to this post.
lancemJohn S

Hi there @ddmscott.  Thanks a million for the how to guide.  I'll be picking up the few things I need at Best Buy tomorrow to get this squared away.  With regards to the 12 hours response time, etc...sorry that came out snarkier than I had intended in hindsight.  Yep, you can get 0.13.0 to run by executing upgrade-edgelinux 0.13.0.  I assume you can get higher than too based on what I am seeing in the forums here though there has been several messages reporting similar results.  I happened to catch wind it was out and about the business repos listing is lacking a list so I couldn't verify, so tossed caution into the wind and typed it in.....and over an hour later....was hanging my head in shame.

Hindsight is always 20/20, but sheez...should have thought this one through a little bit more.

As always, great with the advice @ddmscott.  Thank you a million times over.

@alkalinecandy, thanks for your patience. I think that's on us and we are working on a way to make it much faster to roll back after OS upgrades that conflict with your system. Everyone's set up is different and what works for 1000 people can cause issues on someone else's system. I hope that in the near future you will be able to toss caution to the wind when running an upgrade. 🙂

John S has reacted to this post.
John S

@ddmscott, I appreciate the customer service, but honestly...it's on me here.  I should have just reached out to find out if 0.12.1 was the highest official or not before I got cocky.  I will look forward to anything that makes it easier for rollbacks though in the future.  With the recent updates of Antman, I have been running update a lot recently...rolling from 2.1 to 2.1a to eventually 2.1c today.

Part of the reason why I was looking was my recent Windows installations I couldn't adjust the CPUs to be higher after I installed it, even though the OS recognized that there was more than 1 core in the device manager, but task manager, etc wouldn't see them.  In other words, if I started at 2 it wouldn't see 4 if I bumped it up later.  It was kind of weird and wasn't sure if it was something I needed to do on the antman or edge-linux end.  I'll be looking into that more later.

Quote from Daniel Scott on October 5, 2019, 9:47 pm

@alkalinecandy, sorry to hear that. I didn't know that edgeLinux 0.13 was available with running upgrade-edgelinux. Is that how you upgraded?

About the 12 hour support response time, it's 12 business hours which means you may get a response the following day. Although we usually aim to make it much quicker than that, priority goes to those with faster guaranteed response times.

Here are the instructions to roll back. 

You'll need a USB stick with the following image:

https://static-files.hau.to:8443/edgeLinux/sysrec.iso

Once you have the USB ready, connect a monitor, a keyboard and the USB stick; then boot from it. You could also use the ipmi.

Once in the sysrec OS, download the rollback shell script and execute. You can use the following commands to do so:

chmod +x edgelinux-rollback.sh
./edgelinux-rollback.sh
PLEASE NOTE: This script only works on Antsles, not edgeLinux installs (software only solution). Essentially the Antsles have a specific partition format that we are expecting.

After the script finishes, shutdown your server by executing:

shutdown -h now

Remove the USB stick, and boot normally. You should be able to access your previous environment before the upgrade.

@ddmscott,

This process worked like a champ.  I am seeing everything and am back to 0.12.1.  The only difference in the process I ran into was that there was an expired certificate on the ISO for the wget so I had to indicate to ignore.

Thank you once again for your sage advice and for running to the rescue.  Outstanding service as always.

John

lancem has reacted to this post.
lancem

@alkalinecandy, glad to hear that.

John S has reacted to this post.
John S