Antsle Forum

Welcome to our Antsle community! This forum is to connect all Antsle users to post experiences, make user-generated content available for the entire community and more. 

Please note: This forum is about discussing one specific issue at a time. No generalizations. No judgments. Please check the Forum Rules before posting. If you have specific questions about your Antsle and expect a response from our team directly, please continue to use the appropriate channels (email: [email protected]) so every inquiry is tracked. 

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Antsle One XD - Ultra (Hot! Hot! Hot!)

I'm sure this has all been carefully thought out and engineered accordingly but I have to ask anyways.  This is my first server/pc that's cools solely using passive cooling (massive aluminium heatsink case with no fans) so I'm not used to my components getting this hot or at least be aware since all the heat can be felt by touching the case vs continuously escaping in the airflow.  I'm looking at the external power supply and the output is 12V @ 9.5Amps so I'm assuming the aluminium case is built to dissipate this amount of heat and that all the selected components (server board, RAM, processor, drives, etc...) have a power consumption below this threshold.  Just for reference we purchased the Antsle One XD with maxed out specs (Max Ram, Disk - SSD, NVMe, ...).  Therefore even though the case gets extremely warm/hot to the touch with CPU @ high utilization and lots of memory access (RAM and/or disk) that it's 100% safe and I'm not taking a hit on the life expectancy of the hardware due to operating at high temperatures for extended periods of time and 100% uptime.  If this will shorten the life of the components I'd probably had a wall plug variable fan to make sure air is properly circulating around the case.  I guess I'm just really surprised how hot the case can get under heavy use.

I recently bought an XD Pro and it does seem to get pretty hot to the touch (can't wait for the Oklahoma summer).

But, connecting to the IPMI console (reference here: https://docs.antsle.com/setup/ ) and looking at its sensors [Server Health -> Sensor Readings] CPU temp was 49 C with a threshold of 96 C

(this guide also shows a max of 96

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/design-guides/xeon-d-1500-thermal-guide.pdf

I'm not sure if this is the same Intel Xeon in the Antsle)

So, I'm going to trust for now (but verify periodically!).

cafn8ed has reacted to this post.
cafn8ed

So I did read just now that the Xeon D processor family if for rugged installations and the temp ranges are between 45C - 95C.  Good point though I will keep an eye on the IPMI console, didn't think of that when I posted, thanks for brining that up!!!  Also I'm not saying it's a problem but just that passive cooling like this is a first for me and want to make sure there's still a safe margin and we are not shortening the life of the components of a fully loaded build.

lancem has reacted to this post.
lancem