Antsle Forum

Welcome to our Antsle community! This forum is to connect all Antsle users to post experiences, make user-generated content available for the entire community and more. 

Please note: This forum is about discussing one specific issue at a time. No generalizations. No judgments. Please check the Forum Rules before posting. If you have specific questions about your Antsle and expect a response from our team directly, please continue to use the appropriate channels (email: [email protected]) so every inquiry is tracked. 

Forum breadcrumbs - You are here:ForumGeneral: General404 during Nano setup
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

404 during Nano setup

I am trying to setup my Nano for the first time.  During the setup, I had to wait a really long time for a token to be delivered, now, when I try and reach the login page I get a 404 error.

First, I am not using a monitor or keyboard connected to my Nano.  Instead, I found my IP using my router and connected to that. It was workmen fine, and I clicked the generate token button, and waited, and waited.  I actually clicked a couple times.  Eventually, I gave up and walked away.  When I did get a token email, I went back to try and access the devices from the IP again.  Now I get a 404 error and I cannot get back to the GUI where eI need to enter the token.

How do I get my Nano back online?

I had similar issues as you with the token topic.  Mine "just started" working but I don't remember exactly what variables were involved.    I *think* in my frustration I rebooted it.   Be patient and wait AT LEAST 10 minutes before trying the GUI again ... explained below.

This is somewhat what I've learned over the last week:

• I don't think having a keyboard/monitoring connected would help.  I believe Nano's are not like a traditional Raspberry.  I've read other articles that the micro (???) HDMI ports aren't even enabled yet .. I think I read that.
  • Your Nano likely has Antman 3.0.0b installed.  Antman is a Java App which produces the GUI in your browser.   I think that is could be part of it.  I'm now at 3.0.0c which is better in someways and not so much if at all in others.
  • I say Antman 3.0.0b is likely part of it as before I went to 3.0.0c the Nano GUI would basically locked up after some period of inactivity.   Only fix was to reboot it or SSH as root and run "systemctl restart antman".  3.0.0c seems to have addressed this locked up issue.
    • 3.0.0c also looks to fix the "Console" feature in Antman so you can click on that when the GUI is up. This gives you will get a CLI root prompt within your browser vs having to run SSH from your laptop/server/whatever to get Nano CLI access.
  • If you do you reboot, I've noticed the boot sequence with whatever it is doing makes the GUI start up painfully long at least for me.  Painfully equates to 7-8 minutes ... why does it takes 7 - 8 minutes ?  Anyway,  a working final start means port 3000/tcp comes up in LISTENING state in the IP  stack.  Port 3000 is what the Antman Java app provides.  Just for a FYI, Nginx is used to reverse proxy incoming connections going to port 80/tcp back to that port 3000/tcp which, when the GUI is working that is, is why your browser gets "stuff" showing up.
    • Nginx throws "Bad Gateway" errors when port 3000 isn't up.
  • /var/log/messages shows what appears to be the symptom of the long port 3000/tcp instantiation problem.  Doing a "tail -f /var/log/messages" and you will see repeated communications from the anthilld daemon running on your Nano back to anthill.antsle.com .. over and over and over.   This is where most of the hurry-up-and-wait time I've seen comes from.  Then ... antmand kicks in and typically drops a large Java stack trace (at least for me) but port 3000/tcp comes up.

Had the exact same, everything takes ages to start and there is a lot of waiting. I haven't gone to 3.0.0c yet, still on 3.0.0b.

Even though you may have lost the WEB GUI, you may still be able to SSH to the Antsle, you can then give this command,

service antman restart

It doesn't re-start the Raspberry PI, but it will re-start the GUI (mine takes about 6-10 min), the WEB browser will populate with antMan again automatically, just keep the page open, ie http://myantsle.local