Antsle Forum

Welcome to our Antsle community! This forum is to connect all Antsle users to post experiences, make user-generated content available for the entire community and more. 

Please note: This forum is about discussing one specific issue at a time. No generalizations. No judgments. Please check the Forum Rules before posting. If you have specific questions about your Antsle and expect a response from our team directly, please continue to use the appropriate channels (email: [email protected]) so every inquiry is tracked. 

Forum breadcrumbs - You are here:ForumGeneral: GeneralUSB Drive Zpool Usage Issues
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

USB Drive Zpool Usage Issues

I followed the instructions for adding a USB drive for spare storage for my antlets.  I created at Windows 10 antlet and defined an IDE additional storage location on the external Zpool.  The Windows guest was able to access and format the additional storage.  When attempting to copy files to the storage, however, the entire antsle becomes unresponsive after starting the copy.  RDP connections are dropped, and console connections to the antsle itself, while still connected,  don't respond to some commands -- ie: "w" locks up the terminal, but "ls -la" seems to work okay.  "Top" shows a process called z_wr_iss is taking up the vast majority of the CPUs.

What did I do wrong and/or what can I do to fix this?

Chad

According to this, maybe it is the compression settings for the zpool:

https://github.com/zfsonlinux/zfs/issues/1637

Can you change the compression on the zpool to lz4? (I don't know how exactly)

I thought if you picked "inherit" when creating it, it would use lz4, but maybe not.

will has reacted to this post.
will

I'll try that!  Thanks!  But I think I'm going to turn off compression altogether on the external pool.  Space is cheap for that drive, but it's slow, which is what I think is causing problems.

lancem has reacted to this post.
lancem

I have an external USB drive I'm using for Plex media for my Plex antlet.  It's zpool currently has compression off, but after reading this:

https://www.servethehome.com/the-case-for-using-zfs-compression/

I'm going to turn lz4 on to see how it affects its performance.

Thanks for looking into this guys.

Just to clarify when you create an antlet with compression type "inherit" if will just use the compression type that is set by default.

To change the default go to the gear icon in the top right of antMan -> System Settings -> ZFS settings -> Compression