Antsle Forum

Welcome to our Antsle community! This forum is to connect all Antsle users to post experiences, make user-generated content available for the entire community and more. 

Please note: This forum is about discussing one specific issue at a time. No generalizations. No judgments. Please check the Forum Rules before posting. If you have specific questions about your Antsle and expect a response from our team directly, please continue to use the appropriate channels (email: [email protected]) so every inquiry is tracked. 

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Limit CPUs on LXC antlets

I'm on antman 3.4.2 and AntsleOS 2.0.0 (Antsle XD Pro).

LXCs respect the Memory limits, but don't seem to pay attention to the CPU limit setting.

I have a plex LXC antlet set to 1 CPU, but when it starts transcoding, the antlse CPUs peg out 90+%

Is there another way or should I just switch to a KVM?

Thanks

Hi LanceM:

Interesting.  I was not aware of this limitation with LXC's.  Can you try this on KVM and let us know?

What are you showing in status utilities such as top and htop?

In an LXC, if I do top, it shows all CPUs of the antsle (16).  Also, doing

grep -i processor /proc/cpuinfo

also shows all the cpus of the antsle

But in a KVM, it only shows the CPUs I've allocated to it.

Hi Lance:

You can try using CPU Passthrough function by modifying the antlet's XML (for KVM's):

virsh edit antlet_name

Change the <cpu mode=...> to look like this.
<cpu mode='host-passthrough' check='none'/>

Here's what mine looks like:
14 </features>
15 <cpu mode='host-passthrough' check='none'/>
16 <clock offset='localtime'>

We have done some internal testing with this function and performance was functionally similar.  Your experience may vary.