Antsle Forum

Welcome to our Antsle community! This forum is to connect all Antsle users to post experiences, make user-generated content available for the entire community and more. 

Please note: This forum is about discussing one specific issue at a time. No generalizations. No judgments. Please check the Forum Rules before posting. If you have specific questions about your Antsle and expect a response from our team directly, please continue to use the appropriate channels (email: [email protected]) so every inquiry is tracked. 

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

is ZPOOL mirroring on external drives needed?

System and Goal: I'm using an Antsle Nano. One of the antlets will serve as a NAS for the house. I've attached two 5TB Seagate USB drives

Question: is ZPOOL mirroring on external drives reduntant given antman?

For example: This Article shows how to setup a mirrored ZPOOL

And then this article says that Antman takes care of keeping copies on multiple disks "Each drive will always and automatically be mirrored over two physical drives so that your data stays safe all the time."

Does ZPOOL mirroring+ Virtual Drives on Antman then create 4 copies on two drives?(and consume 4x the storage)?

I read that statement about antman to be referring to the drives that came with the antsle (the internal SSDs or the add-on HDD or SSDs, which are mirrored zpools).

For my external drives (which did not come with the antsle), I created a new external mirrored zpool.

Hi LanceM:

Thanks for sharing.

Yes, it's recommended to use mirrored zpools for redundancy and can be used for internal and external drives.