Antsle Forum

Welcome to our Antsle community! This forum is to connect all Antsle users to post experiences, make user-generated content available for the entire community and more. 

Please note: This forum is about discussing one specific issue at a time. No generalizations. No judgments. Please check the Forum Rules before posting. If you have specific questions about your Antsle and expect a response from our team directly, please continue to use the appropriate channels (email: [email protected]) so every inquiry is tracked. 

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Setting up New Server - would love some input

Hi all, looking for thoughts on setting up a new server.  I bought the Antsle Nano as much for the lower cost Antman as I did for the cool raspberry pi at a great deal.  I've run Proxmox on servers before and was thinking of running EdgeLinux/Antman in that role on my new (to me, it's refurbished server) that has a nice 32gig ram.  I'd love to pick the collective brain of this forum community.

1. Do I install EdgeLinux as host and run windows in a vm or leave Windows has host and run EdgeLinux in a vm
    1. running windows apps (gui, not server) is an important use case
    2. Seems to me that running LXC Containers from a vm isn't a whole lot different than running docker containers in a linux vm on windows
  2. Docker is important to me
    1. Windows as host allows windows dockers.
    2. Linux dockers can just run on windows beside EdgeLinux or within
  3. I want the LXC Containers to "feel" like separate servers on the network.  Is this changed by running in a vm?

Thanks ahead of time for your thoughts

Hi Lee:

Thanks for your interest in edgeLinux/antMan.

1. Since you've got Windows installed, you can try virtualization software (such as VirtualBox) in Windows.  I had tried something like this last year, but I ended installing edgeLinux on my own hardware for better performance while testing.  Also, I had some issues with nested virtualization when I use edgeLinux in VM.
  2. We use Docker internally for edgeLinux for some of our internal processes such as the Console window in antMan.
  3. By default, edgeLinux treats the antlets on their own internal network (usually 10.1.1.x) by default.  You can add bridged networking or port forwarding to your own network.  We also offer SDN's (Software Defined Networking).  You can find more information here.

Please let us know how it goes.

Thanks.