Antsle Forum

Welcome to our Antsle community! This forum is to connect all Antsle users to post experiences, make user-generated content available for the entire community and more. 

Please note: This forum is about discussing one specific issue at a time. No generalizations. No judgments. Please check the Forum Rules before posting. If you have specific questions about your Antsle and expect a response from our team directly, please continue to use the appropriate channels (email: [email protected]) so every inquiry is tracked. 

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Lone Antlet only using 3% of total CPU

So I have a nano that I bought for development.  I just started trying to use docker-machine to log into an antlet with docker installed and build and deploy images for testing.

When building an image

the antlet's OS top command shows that dockerd is using 40-50% of the total CPU

the nano's OS top command shows that dockerd is using about 30-40% of the total CPU

antman tells me that the total CPU being used is 2-3%

The build is SSSSLLLOOOWWWW.  It takes 30-40 minutes to build a simple node server running an angular app where on my own PC will build this image in 2-3 minutes, maybe 5 if I'm running too many other processes.  The nano is a 4GB RAM with quad-core processor, if the only thing it's doing is running one VM for a docker process, shouldn't that VM be able to use all the resources that the host has to offer?

So my question is this; Is there a way to change the max CPU that a single image can use, so I can get more of the nano's resources in on building and running these test images?

Hi anthony:

You may have tried this already.

Did you try changing the amount of CPU Cores for the antlet in antMan?  See attached screenshot.

Uploaded files:
  • antMan_change_cpu_cores.png
lancem has reacted to this post.
lancem

Hi Daniel,

Yes, the antlet started with 4CPUs and 4GBRAM, so I thought it would use all available resources.  At the time I wrote the original post, there were two antlets on the nano, both just basic linux image with docker installed.  I got one to work with docker machine, so I deleted the other, but found build times were extreme, so it definitely wasn't something to use in development.  See the attached pic for the antlet config.

[EDIT] - I added some other screen snips of the top processes of the nano's centos OS and the dockernano (the antlet) debian OS, as well as the antman Dashboard widget for % of CPU.

Uploaded files:
  • antsle_forum.png
  • antsle_forum_nano_top.png
  • antsle_forum_dockernano_top.png
  • antsle_forum_dashboard.png

Hi Anthony:

Thanks for sharing the screenshots.

So it appears that antMan is not reporting all the CPU activity according to the other screenshots for top.

I can create bug ticket for our developers.  Thanks for the info.

Sounds Good Daniel.  Cheers