Antsle Forum

Welcome to our Antsle community! This forum is to connect all Antsle users to post experiences, make user-generated content available for the entire community and more. 

Please note: This forum is about discussing one specific issue at a time. No generalizations. No judgments. Please check the Forum Rules before posting. If you have specific questions about your Antsle and expect a response from our team directly, please continue to use the appropriate channels (email: [email protected]) so every inquiry is tracked. 

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

edgeLinux/antMan installation issues - M2 SSD support (non sd devices)

I have a machine with a M2 SSD and the install-local script doesn't seem to work with that hardware.  It is expecting the device name to be /dev/sd* but the device name I get is /dev/nvme0n1.  I see that the issue is in the ansible script ( /opt/elinstaller/library/ansible_devices.py ).  First question, any support for non-scsi drives like an M2.SSD?

If I "tinker" with the ansible_devices.py file, I can get to a point where I have the option to choose to create the zpool on my own.  After choosing that option the script fails (which i expected) but I'm having an issue now with creating the zpool.  I'm not sure what is required.  I'm looking for a little guidance on how to get past this so that I can continue using the product.  Second question, how should I configure my hardware to work with edgeLinux/Antman, from a device and partition perspective, and what commands do I need to run to get it working?

Hopefully this all makes sense.  🙂

Hi @tliddle30

Thanks for trying this out! We will support installing in m.2 devices in a future release. However, the option "I will configure them on my own" should have worked. Could you please post the error that appeared?

You could then configure a simple zpool like this:

zpool create antlets /dev/nvme0n1

Hi @mardo

Thanks for the update.

After I choose I will configure them on my own option, it did start to run, however, it failed on the ansible role edgeLinux at the task "Install antMan... may take several minutes".  It failed because docker was not started.  The docker daemon json file was configured for storage driver zfs.  Since I had not setup the zpool and configured it, it failed.

What I did was manually create a partition and created the zpool (as you described above).  After that I modified the roles to work directly with my storage device and the zpool I setup, specifically replacing or hard coding values and was finally able to get it working.  It took a while and was a bit painful but I have a functioning device.

If you want, I can tar my /opt/elinstaller directory and you can have a look?

Hi @tliddle30, I have reproduced the issue you had with "configure on my own" and will get fixed soon! Yes, if you could send me the /opt/elinstaller tar to mardo@antsle.com would be nice :). Thanks for all the feedback!

tliddle30 has reacted to this post.
tliddle30

I think I am running into the same issue as @tliddle30, but not as capable as he for the workaround. I am trying to give antMan and EdgeLinux a spin on a repurposed Dell XPS13, which has a m2 SSD. Any update on the issue @mardo

Quote from mardo.delcid on April 13, 2020, 5:10 pm

Hi @tliddle30, I have reproduced the issue you had with "configure on my own" and will get fixed soon! Yes, if you could send me the /opt/elinstaller tar to mardo@antsle.com would be nice :). Thanks for all the feedback!

@mardo - You should have an email in your inbox.  Thanks for looking into this.

@mardo Any word on this being fixed? I'm trying to install on an Intel Nuc and running into the same issue where it won't get past the ansible_devices.py file.

Is this issue present in the One XD's?