Antsle Forum

Welcome to our Antsle community! This forum is to connect all Antsle users to post experiences, make user-generated content available for the entire community and more. 

Please note: This forum is about discussing one specific issue at a time. No generalizations. No judgments. Please check the Forum Rules before posting. If you have specific questions about your Antsle and expect a response from our team directly, please continue to use the appropriate channels (email: [email protected]) so every inquiry is tracked. 

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Creating antlets with docker images

Can anyone give me a quick sketch of how to create an antlet that has docker installed and running and that can be quickly provisioned with a Docker image?

Like, suppose you wanted a set of servers (nginx, a database, etc.) that were provisioned as docker instances. How would you script it so that the antlets were created, the docker images were installed and started on the correct machines, and the servers could find each other? I am guessing some sort of docker-compose script, but I don't know how to create the antlets by script.

A worked out sample script would be much-appreciated.

molotovbliss has reacted to this post.
molotovbliss

The forum appears to be dead. I'm looking to do something similar and simply spin up containers w/ the apps I regularly need/use. Hope they get some activity in here soon.

Since there isn't much support in this forum or community activity, I've spent considerable time myself learning how to best use my Antsle and Docker. Since learning the basics of Docker and how to setup containers to run applications, I've come to the conclusion that in most cases on the Antsle, a container is the way to go vs a traditional VM (ie: Antlet). For service type servers (Webapps, DNS, Plex, LDAP, etc), it's simple enough to get everything up and running in Docker and not use an Antlet at all. Here's a good, quick example to install BitBucket on your Antsle using a container:

1) SSH into your Antsle server
#ssh [email protected]

2) Create a docker volume for BitBucket
#docker volume create --name bitbucketVolume

3) Install BitBucket
   # docker run -v bitbucketVolume:/var/atlassian/application-data/bitbucket --name="bitbucket" -d -p 7990:7990 -p 7999:7999
atlassian/bitbucket-server

4) Open your new BitBucket instance in your web brower:
http://myanstle.antsle.us:7990

What once took me an entire evening on a Windows Server (ie: create Antlet, install Windows, patch, install Postgres, install BitBucket), now literally takes less than 3 minutes to be up and running.

My challenge now has been getting full SSL working with my Docker containers. I do have SSL working on my Antsle, however working with the NGINX reverse proxy to the Docker containers has been tricky. Anyway, hope this helps!

will, r3chris and 4 other users have reacted to this post.
willr3chrisWard Mundyklfrazierthe_threat_of_loveterryj72